I read quite a lot. Maybe 30 books a year. This is the best I've read in the last few years. It's pretty hefty. 499 pages. There's not really loads going on. But that's why I like it. He travels. He surfs. He's a proper journalist who can tell a story.
When I'm really into a book I end up looking for further resources. Interviews. Back-story. Some links are below. I took a surf lesson last summer. I'd love to do more. And eventually, a family, surf-bike tour down the French Atlantic coast. Like these: France. Scotland. California.
- An interview with the author on the Sports Books Podcast.
- Article from Guardian Books.
- Film about surfing in Jardim, Madeira.
- Back-story about Brian and Bill's travelogue pieces for Outside Magazine.
- The original article that Mark Renneker hated from The New Yorker.
- William Finnegan on Slate.
- Interview about the book in Ourside Magazine.
- Chat with Dr. Mark Renneker in Surfer.
- Renneker also features in Riding Giants.
- Update on Brian in Surfer's Journal.
- Surf Europe interview with Finnegan.
- Lots of stuff with William Finnegan on YouTube.